A taping script is a list of statements that can be used for giving yourself an emotional freedom technique (EFT) session. When using the script, you just read it over and notice how you feel with every statement. Does it make you feel sad, angry, hurt, or distressed? If so, it’s a good statement to tap on as it brings up a part of you that is hurt and requires healing. The statements to use are those that you feel drawn to.
Those who use this technique believe that tapping the body can create a balance in the energy system and treat pain. It has been used for treating people who are suffering from anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
How the Technique Works
EFT concentrates on the meridian points or energy hot spots to restore the energy of the body. It is thoughtthat energy balance restoration canrelieve symptoms caused by a negative experience or emotion. Meridian points are body areas through which energy flows. They help balance energy flow to maintain health. While acupuncture uses needles for applying pressure to these points, emotional freedom technique uses fingertip tapping to apply pressure.
According to proponents, tapping helps access the energy to the body and sends signals to the part of the brain that controls stress. By stimulating the energy points through this technique, stress in the body or negative emotions are reduced, freeing you from the problem and restoring the balance to your disrupted energy.
Steps for EFT Tapping
Here are the steps involved in emotional freedom technique tapping.
- Identify your fear or problem. Your issue or fear serves as your focal point when tapping. Concentrate only on one issue at a time to improve your results.
- Set a benchmark level of intensity. Rate the intensity level on a scale from 0-10, with 10 being the toughest or worst. This scale evaluates your emotional or physical pain or discomfort from your focal problem. By testing the initial intensity, you can monitor your progress after doing a complete tapping sequence.
- Establish a setup phrase. This phrase explains what you want to address. It should concentrate on acknowledge the problem and accepting yourself despite the issue. Focus on how the issue makes you feel to relieve the stress it causes.
- Know the tapping sequence. This sequence is the methodic tapping on the ends of nine meridian points. These are the karate chop, top of the head, eyebrow, side of the eye, under the eye, under the nose, chin, beginning of the collarbone, and under the arm. Start by tapping the karate chop point and simultaneously recite your setup phrase three times. Then, tap every other point seven times in ascending order. After you tap the underarm point, complete the sequence at the top of the head point. While you tap the ascending points, recite a reminding phrase to keep the focus on the problem area.
- Rate your final intensity level. Compare the results with your initial intensity level. Repeat the process until you reach 0.